· Health sector actions
· Community, society and family actions
· Health planners/policy makers actions
· Legislative and policy actions
Health sector actions:
· Basic antenatal, Intranatal and postnatal care.
· Risk assessment
· A skilled attendant
· Emergency obstetric care
· Good quality obstetric services
· Frequent joint consultation
· Maternal mortality conferences
· Periodic refresher courses for health professionals
Community, society and family actions:
· Wide range of groups (women's group), health care professionals, religious leaders and safe motherhood committees (regional, district) can help woman to obtain the essential obstetric care.
Health planners/policy makers actions:
· To organize community education, motivation and formation of safe motherhood committee at the local level
· To strengthen the referral system for obstetric emergencies
· To develop written management protocol
· Refresher courses to improve the standard of care.
· Periodic audit
Legislative and policy actions:
· Girl children and adolescents should have good nutrition, education and economic opportunities.
· Barriers to the access of health care facilities should be removed
· Decentralization of services
· Safe abortion services and post abortion care.