Assessment of Female genital organs
Organs include: Assessment of inguinal lymph nodes, External genitalia
· Examination gloves
· Supplemental lighting
· Sterile cotton swabs
· Culture plates
· Glass slides
· Side lying position with right thigh and knees drawn up to her chest
v Empty bladder.
v Male examiner needs female person to be with patient
v Explain to the client.
v Wash hands and apply gloves.
v Provide privacy
v Inquire if client has following history;
· Onset of menstruation
· LMP, regularity of cycle, duration, amount of daily flow
· pain during micturition, intercourse
· Number of pregnancies
· h/o sexually transmitted diseases
Inspect the distribution, amount and
characteristics of pubic hair
Scant /absence of pubic hair
Inspect the pubic area for parasites, inflammation, swelling and lesions
Skin of vulva is slightly darker than the body
Lice, lesions, scars, fissures, swellings erythema, excoriations, scar from episiotomies, varicosities, leukoplakia
Palpate the inguinal lymph nodes:
· Use the pads of the fingers in a rotary motion, noting any enlargement or tenderness.
· Inspect urethral orifice for inflammation, vaginal orifice.
Examination of internal organs include,
· Palpating bartholin glands
· Assessing the pelvic musculature
· Inserting a vaginal speculum in inspect the cervix and vagina
Obtaining a papicolaou smear
· Assembling equipment’s
· Preparing the client
· Supporting the client during the procedure
· Monitoring and assisting the client after procedure
· Document the procedure