Therapeutic communication is an interpersonal interaction between the nurse and the patient during which the nurse focuses on the patient's specific needs to promote an effective exchange of information.
· Establish therapeutic nurse-patient relationship
· Identify patient needs
· Assess patient's perception about the problem
· Provide a platform for expression of feelings
· Effective implementation of intervention to meet the treatment care needs
· Client centered - primary focus of interaction
· Self-disclosure with caution and only when it is needed
· Purposeful, planned and goal directed.
· Maintain confidentiality
· Be non-judgmental
· Avoid giving advice
· Avoid social relationship with patient