Ø It is the flushing or washing out, of bladder with a specified solution
Ø Bladder irrigation can help in preventing urinary tract obstruction by flushing out small blood clots, that form post prostate or bladder surgery.
Ø It may also be used to treat an irritated, inflamed, or infected bladder lining.
Ø It also helps to maintain the patency of the catheter.
· To cleanse the bladder from decomposed urine, bacteria, excess of mucus
· To relieve congestion & pain in case of inflammation by heat application.
· To promote healing.
· To prevent clot formations.
· To prevent or treat infections.
· To arrest bleeding.
· To maintain the catheter patency.
v Distilled water.
v Normal saline.
v Glucose 5%.
v Boric acid 2 0/0.
v KMN04 1 in 100000.
v Acriflavin 1 in 10000.
v AgN03 1 in 5000.
v Acetic acid I in 499.
Types of irrigation
1. Open method:
Here the closed drainage must be opened to the environment to do the irrigation.
· To restore catheter patency.
· Risk of UTI is more
· Double lumen catheter is used
2. Closed method:
It is of two types :
Determine the client’s current urinary drainage system
Assess the client n for any discomfort, bladder spasm, or distended bladder
Articles required are:-
· Sterile irrigation solution at room temperature
· Irrigation tubing and clamping.
· IV pole.( to hang the irrigating solution)
· Retention catheter in place
· Antiseptic swab (to clean the lumen of the catheter.)
· Clean gloves
· Bath blanket.
· Drainage tubing clamp (to clamp the catheter)
· Sterile irrigation set with tray, sterile collection basin,
· Bulb syringe or 60ml piston type syringe to instill the solution
· Waterproof drape/ Mackintosh
· Antiseptic swabs.( to clean the port) Sterile gloves.
· Irrigation solution at room temperature.
· Tape or elastic bandage to rescuer the catheter
· Bath blanket.