The Indian Lunacy Act 1912
It was derived from English Lunacy Act 1890.It has got 4 parts and 8 chapters. Also consists of 100 sections
• Preliminary information and definitions
• Lunatic- an idiot or a person with unsound mind
• Procedures to be followed in admission
• Procedure for care, treatment and discharge
• Paroleis the permission given to patients to go home to perform certain rituals or to attend some functions.
• Proceedings of lunacy in presidency town
• Proceedings of lunacy in outside presidency town
• Establishment of asylum
• Expenses of lunatics
• Rules imposed by state government regarding care of lunatics.
• Opening of new asylums
• Improvement in condition of asylums
• Increase in awareness of situation in lunatic asylums
• Overcrowding in asylums
The Narcotic Drug and Psychotropic Substances Act (Act 61of 1985)
· Opium act 1857 was revised in 1878. Again it was revised in 1950, to Opium and Revenue Laws Act
· In 16th September 1985, NDPSA Act 61 was enforced.
List of Narcotic drugs
Ø Psychotropic substances (76 drugs)
· If a person produces, possess, transport, import, sell, purchase or uses narcotic drugs he shall be punishable with an imprisonment not less than 10 years may go up to 20 year. Also a fine of 1 Lakh is given.
· Repeat offenses will be punished by an imprisonment less than 15 years-30 years and fine 1.5 lakh-3 lakh
· For handling Ganja imprisonment of 10 years and fine of 1 lakhis given.
· On carrying small quantities
a punishment of 1 year/ fine or both
· Ganja below 500gms, imprisonment is for 6months
· Based on court order detoxification of patient is also considered.
· Prevention of Illicit traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic substances act was passed in1988. Based on this detention, seizure of property, death penalty if more than or equal to 1kg heroin is found to be trafficking by a person in spite of warning in first attempt.
Role of nurse in admission
· Assigning bed based on need and situation
· Orient to facilities
· Orient to policies & timings
· Allow time to clarify doubts
· Give proper explanation
Role in Parole
· Explain purpose & When to bring back
· Any specific precautions
Role of nurse in Discharge
· All belongings and medications need to be given with instructions
· Follow up date
· Paper work & signing
· Files to MRD
· Assess the feelings towards discharge and manage effectively