‘Process record is a verbatim account of a visit for purposes of bringing out the interplay between the nurse and the patient in relation to the objectives of the visit.’ -Walker
Purposes of process recording
1. To improve the quality of therapeutic nurse patient relationship.
2. Assist the nurse to plan, structure and evaluate the interaction on a conscious rather than intuitive level.
3. It provides means for self evaluation of verbal and nonverbal communication, patterns and its effects.
4. Help the nurse to identify the thoughts and feelings in relation to self and others.
5. Helps to increase the ability to identify problems and gain skills in solving them.
Components of process recording
· Record of interaction
· Analysis of interaction
Prerequisites for process recording:
· Physical setting.
· Getting consent of the patient for the possibility of cassette recording.
l . Stuart GW, Laria MT. Principles and Practices of psychiatric Nursing I st ed. Philadelphia: Mosby Publishers; 2001
2. Mary TC. Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing -Concept of care. 3 rd ed. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Publishers: 2002
3. Kapoor Bimla. Text Book of Psychiatric Nursing. Volume II. 1st ed. 2006.New Delhi: Kumar Publishing House: 2006