Mini Mental Status Examination
Mini Mental Status Examination is a tool to assess the cognitive function of an individual. It was put forward by Folstein MF & McHugh PR
· Identify the cognitive impairment level
· Screen cases with dementia
· A small measure to assess the attention, memory and other cognitive areas
Components in MMSE includes
· Orientation (10 points)
· Registration(3 points)
· Attention & Calculation(5 points)
· Recall(3 points)
· Language & Praxis (9 points)
It consists of 19 questions and which can’t be modified or used without the permission of the author. Its score ranges between 0 to 30.
· It is only a screening tool not a diagnostic tool
· Education and language skill can affect the scores.
· Can’t be used in patients without basic education