• Healthcare workers must work with and provide care to a variety of people.
• YOU must be aware of factors that cause each individual to be unique.
That uniqueness is influenced by many things:
• Physical characteristics
• Family life
• Socioeconomic status
• Religious beliefs
• Geographical location
• Life experiences
Race: generally refers to a group with similar inherited features.
Ethnic group:refers to a group that shares language, national origin or religious tradition.
The values, beliefs, attitudes, languages, symbols, rituals, behaviors and customs unique to a particular group of people and that are passed down from generation to generation
Often defined as a set of rules, because each culture provides a \”blueprint\”for its standard of living
• Occupational choice
• Social interactions
• Spiritual beliefs
• Healthcare choices
• Differences based on cultural, ethnical and racial factors.
• All these influence an individual’s behavior, self-perception, judgment of others and interpersonal relationships
• Differences exist within all ethic/cultural groups and within the people that make up those groups
• Key is to regard each person as a unique individual
• Every individual adopts beliefs and forms patterns of behavior based on culture, ethnicity, race, life experiences, spirituality and religion
• Beliefs may change based on new exposures and experiences
• Must be aware of the needs of each individual in order to provide care
Providing cultural nursing care:
• All phases of the nursing process are affected by the client’s and the nurse’s cultural values, beliefs, and behaviors
• Clients culture and the nurse’s culture come together in the N-P relationship, a unique cultural environment is created that can improve or impair the client’s outcome
• Self- awareness of personal biases can enable nurses to develop modifying behaviors
• Nurse can become more aware of their own culture through values clarification.
• The nurse must also consider the cultural values dominant in the health care setting because those may influence the client’s outcome.
· Recreation is anything that is stimulating and rejuvenating for an individual
· Recreation is the expenditure of time with an intent to gain some refreshment.
It is a break from monotony and a diversion from the daily routine.
Values derived from Recreation:
• Mental Health
• Physical Health and Growth
• Emotional Stability
• Social Fitness
• Psychological Awareness
• Diversional Therapy involves the organization, design, coordination and implementation of client centered leisure based activity programs.
• The aim of which is to improving the quality of life through ongoing support and development of clients psychological, emotional, spiritual, social and physical needs and well – being.