CARE OF REFRIGERATOR
l. Defrost and empty the contents every week (frost — forming refrigerators)
2. Let all the frost melt. Do not use sharp instruments to remove frost
3. Clean with mild soap solutions inside and outside, wipe clean with plain water
4. Empty and clean frost — free refrigerators once in 2 weeks
5. Return unused/ partially used blood products to blood bank or laboratory
6. Discard any unsent blood samples
7. Do not keep milk, food items and drinking water in the refrigerator with pathological products
8. Switch on the power supply and turn the thermostat knob to full. Wait for half an hour. Replace the contents in the refrigerator
9. Do not open the refrigerator door frequently and unnecessarily
10. Avoid keeping the refrigerator door open for more than 30 minutes
11. Keep the refrigerator at a cool, dry place away from the wall
CARE OF THERMOMETERS
· Wear disposable gloves.
· Wipe the thermometer from bulb to stem in rotating movement using cotton swab before using
· Wipe the thermometer from stem to bulb after using
· Wash the thermometer under running water
· Wipe the thermometer with the dry cotton from stem to bulb.
· Wipe the thermometer with spirit from stem to bulb.
· Replace the thermometer into the cover.
CARE OF HOSPITAL FURNITURE
The commonly used hospital furniture include beds, tables, chairs, cardiac table, bedside storage lockers, wheel chairs, stretchers, operation theatre tables, labour room tables, nursing station, cupboards.
· Metal furniture may be adequately cared for by frequent washing with warm water and soap. Scouring may scratch the surface of the furniture and thus should not be used
· Most wood furniture used in hospitals have a water proof finish and are made to withstand as excessive amount of wear
· Report damage or breakage of furniture immediately so it can be repaired before it is damaged further
· When using the over bed table, raise it high enough to clear the foot of the bed so it will not be damaged when moved
· Use a mild soap solution to wash the furniture and dry it carefully after it has been washed
· If anything is spilled on the furniture, be sure that it is immediately mopped up.