ALZHEIMER'S DISEASEAtrophy of brain tissues. Progressive, irreversible, degenerative neurological disease characterized by gradual losses of cognitive functions and disturbances in behavior and affect 5 Magical As ( Signs and Symptoms)
- Aapraxia “ unable to determine function & purpose of object
- Anomia - inability to remember names of things
- Amnesia “ loss of memory
- Agnosia " unable to recognize familiar object
- - Expressive or brocca's aphasia- unable to speak
- - Receptive wernickes aphasia - unable to understand spoken words
Common to Alzheimer- receptive aphasiaDrug of choice -ARICEPT (taken at bedtime) & COGNEX.
Mgt: Supportive & palliative.